April 6, 2017
On Screen Manitoba members can access a discounted registration rate to save $400 on regular fees for BANFF World Media Festival. Contact Maryam Decter for the registration code.
With over 30 years of insight and experience, the Banff World Media Festival is one of the world’s largest gathering of entertainment and digital media executives, making it the ideal place to make new contacts, find production partners and green-light new projects.
The contest, open to members of WIFTV, offers one lucky winner participation in a mentorship program including the following:
- a festival pass to the Banff World Media Festival (June 11-14, 2017);
- pre-festival consultation with an experienced television producer or development executive; and
- two supporting meetings a fellow WIFTV member, before and during the festival.
If you’d like to apply to the program, you can join WIFTV today as a geographically-distant member. In addition to becoming a member, and applying to this program, you’ll also be eligible for a $200 discount on your Banff World Media Festival Pass. (If you’re already a member, visit the “members benefits” section of the members-only portion of the WIFTV website).
What the mentorship program means for you
Here’s what last year’s winner, Dawn Brett-Hauschild had to say about her experience:
“In short, the whole experience felt like a Cinderella story to me – thanks in large part to my fairy godmother, WIFTV, for giving me the confidence (and support) to take my career to the next level.”
To learn more about Dawn’s experience at Banff last year, click here.
Additional application information
The application deadline is 5 pm on April 17th, 2017, click here for more information on how to apply.
All WIFTV members – regardless of whether you submit to the mentorship program – can attend the Banff World Media Festival at an exclusive discounted rate. Use the promo code on the WIFTV members discount page when you register and save and extra $200 on the early bird ticket price ($1295 until April 21st).”
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: MAY 2, 2017
ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS STARTING APRIL 3RD, 2017
WINNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED: MAY 10, 2017
CALLING ALL CANADIAN WEB DRAMA SERIES PRODUCERS/CREATORS!
Do you have a scripted digital drama series looking for partners, funders, platforms, distributors, strategies, brands, audiences? Do you think that you could benefit professionally by attending the Banff World Media Festival?
The IPF has partnered with BANFF to offer THREE (3) qualified digital scripted drama short-form series producer/creators with:
- A full festival registration and access to all festival events.
- A travel subsidy of up to $1500.
- Mentorship by the IPF and special closed session with key BANFF guests.
- You must be a Canadian producer/creator with at least one released web drama series (in English or in French) with a production or writing credit.
- You must be presently developing or producing another web drama series.
- You must be available to attend BANFF from June 11 to June 14, inclusive.
- Provide the url’s of previous web drama series you have produced/created, where they can be viewed presently.
- Your brief resumé. List any relevant awards you/your projects have received.
- 250-word synopsis of the scripted digital drama series you are presently working on.
- One-page description of your goals in attending BANFF, the people you want to meet, and how this will benefit your new project.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: MAY 2, 2017
 “Drama” includes all genres of scripted content that has a story arc and uses performers; eligible web series would also include comedy, animation and children’s content.
For more information please contact:
Jane Tesar, Account Manager, Banff World Media Festival
Tel: 1.416.408.2300 x 204
The Banff World Media Festival is also holding a contest. One winner will receive a full Banff World Media Festival Experience: one registration to Banff World Media Festival 2017, 3 nights accommodation at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel from June 11-14, 2017 and $500 CA spending money. Enter by May 18.
WINNERS NOTIFIED: MAY 12, 2017
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED IN OUR OFFICE NO LATER THAN 5PM EST FRIDAY APRIL 21, 2017
The Banff World Media Festival, in collaboration with Corus, has launched the 2017 edition of the Corus Entertainment Writer’s Apprentice Program, offering emerging Canadian writers with the unprecedented opportunity to gain significant insight into the world of programming. Successful applicants will receive a full access pass to the Banff World Media Festival from June 11-14, 2017 and will benefit from an exclusive opportunity to complete a two-week internship in the story department of a prime-time series. The program is open to individual writers as well as to established writing teams who have demonstrated a proven track record working together.
What you’ll need to Submit:
- Resume outlining your background with a cover letter stating why you should be considered for this program. Preference will be given to those writers who have at least ½ hour of produced drama/comedy.
- One half-hour spec script for an existing half-hour show OR a one hour spec script for an existing one-hour show. Spec script must be same length of existing show. We will only read one spec for each candidate
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from Canadian film and television industry professionals. References should be familiar with the candidate’s work and be able to comment on the candidate’s ability to become a writer for series television. References may be contacted by the Corus Writer’s Apprentice Program Jury. Note: letters of recommendation from personal representatives will not be accepted.
The successful applicants will:
- Be invited to attend the Banff World Media Festival on a full access pass
- Have the opportunity to gain significant experience by completing a two-week internship in the story department of a prime-time series
- Enjoy networking, pitching, and business building opportunities at various BANFF sessions
- Have the chance to meet with showrunners, agents, broadcasters, and funders
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2016 WINNERS:
- Rebecca Hales
- Ruth Madoc-Jones
- Gemma Holdway
- Matt Doyle
- Chris Hill
John Nixon, Producer, Banff World Media Festival
Tel: 1.416.408.2300 x 246
2017 Canadian Production Spotlight
The Movie Theatre Association of Canada (MTAC), in partnership with the Harold Greenberg Fund, is inviting Canadian film producers to apply for the 2017 Canadian Production Spotlight.
Entering its third year as a part of ShowCanada, the Canadian Production Spotlight recognizes Canadian producers making films for theatrical distribution.
During the three-day ShowCanada conference, more than 400 delegates involved in film exhibition and distribution gather to network, screen movies, attend seminars and celebrate the magic of movie-going. This year’s conference is hosted in Banff from May 30 to June 1.
Each year, the Canadian Production Spotlight highlights the work of up to three Canadian producers, providing them with a unique opportunity to promote their work and network with key industry stakeholders.
This year’s selected producers will receive economy air travel to the event, hotel accommodation and full conference registration.
Application is open to any Canadian producer who has successfully produced at least one theatrically-released feature film during the course of their career.
Applications must be received by April 26, 2017. Read more about the application process (PDF).