November 30, 2017
The Canada Media Fund (CMF), announced today the publication of a new research report entitled Adjust Your Thinking: The New Realities of Competing in a Global Media Market. The announcement was made by Valerie Creighton, President and CEO, CMF, at an event during the Whistler Film Festival.
Based on a series of interviews with industry players throughout Canada and around the world, this report examines some of the larger issues identified in the course of research focused on the globalized content marketplace. It provides an in-depth analysis of the following five key themes:
- New opportunities in a world that operates outside of TV schedules and national borders;
- The interplay between shifts in technology, virtually unlimited viewer choices and business models;
- Emerging markets’ new mobile-connected audiences of hundreds of millions;
- Patterns and trends in the SVOD and OTT marketplaces;
- Canadian competitiveness in the global marketplace.
“This important research sheds light on the challenges and opportunities Canadian creators face when competing in a global market,” said Valerie Creighton. “In order to succeed in the export of Canadian content, Canadian creators must have the necessary tools to compete. This body of research is an additional step in helping us identify where opportunities lie, with a particular focus on media-hungry, emerging markets.”
Adjust Your Thinking builds on the international market series Your Market Is Everywhere released by the CMF in the fall of 2017. The series presented a geographical perspective, describing and analyzing the following markets on a country-by-country, region-by-region basis:
- South Africa
- Select English and French Markets in Africa
- Select Markets in South America
- South Korea
The international market series Your Market Is Everywhere and the Adjust Your Thinking research report were both authored by media and technology research consultant Leora Kornfeld.
The international market series and the research report are available for download both in French and English versions here.
CMF Trends regularly publishes research reports, which can be accessed on the CMF Trends website, along with a host of curated blog posts.