Comprehensive List of Funds Available
There is a wide variety of public and private funding available for the creation of Canadian feature films. Most funding sources offer funding to projects in both French and English, while special opportunities for French language production, aboriginal productions, and diverse language projects are listed in their own sections.
Telefilm Canada is a federal cultural agency dedicated to developing and promoting the Canadian audiovisual industry. Telefilm provides financial support to the private sector to create distinctively Canadian productions that appeal to domestic and international audiences. Telefilm also administers the Canada Media Fund’s programs.
- Canada Feature Film Fund
- Canada Feature Film Fund – Development, Production and Marketing Programs
- Theatrical Documentary Program
- Web-Ciné 360
- Premier Writers Pilot Program
- Programme d’aide à l’écriture de scénarios
- Low Budget Independent Feature Film Assistance Program
- The Versioning Assistance Program
- Fonds Francophone d’Aide au Développement Cinématographique
- International Marketing Program
- Alternative Distribution Program
- Canada Feature Film Fund Working Groups
Application deadlines are available on the Telefilm Canada website.
Canada Media Fund
The Canada Media Fund is a not-for-profit corporation that supports content creation for television and other digital platforms. This year, the CMF will deliver $350M in funding.
Through the Experimental Stream, the CMF will encourage the development of leading-edge, interactive, digital media content and software applications.
Through the Convergent Stream, the CMF will support the creation of innovative, convergent television and digital media content for consumption by Canadians anytime, anywhere. The Convergent Stream has several programs and incentives.
- Experimental Stream
- Development Program
- Performance Envelope Program
- Francophone Minority Program
- Aboriginal Program
- English Production Incentive
- Diverse Languages Program
- English POV Program
- Versioning Program
Telephone: (416) 214-4400
National Film Board
Canada’s public producer and distributor, the National Film Board of Canada creates interactive works, social-issue documentaries, auteur animation and alternative dramas that provide the world with a unique Canadian perspective.
- Directing/Co-Producing with NFB’s English Program
- Filmmaker support programs
- Digital Projects
- Projects in production at the NFB’s French Program
- Employment Equity Program
Manitoba Tax Credit
- Refundable tax credit
Tax credit rate:
- 30% tax credit on all Manitoba (MB) expenditures, including MB labour and MB purchases/rentals OR 45% of qualifying MB labour expenditures (which can also include labour paid to non-MB residents who work in technical, below-the-line positions, to a maximum of 30% of total actual MB labour expenditures if 2 MB residents trained per non-resident; non-residents do not have to deliver the training)
- Amount is not capped
- BONUS: 5% of qualifying MB labour expenditures if over 50% of MB production days shot at least 35 km from the center of Winnipeg
- Frequent Filming BONUS: 10% of qualifying MB labour expenditures on third film shot within 2-year period (producers can access bonus by co-venturing with a company that has frequent filming status)
- MB Producer Incentive BONUS: 5% of qualifying MB labour expenditures for productions where a MB resident receives credit as a Producer
Project eligibility requirements:
- Over 25% of salaries and wages paid by production company must be paid to eligible MB employees for work performed in MB
Applicants Eligibility requirements:
- The production company must be a corporation taxable in Canada, with a permanent establishment in MB, primarily carrying on the business of film, TV, or video production
- Broadcasters are eligible
Chief Executive Officer & Film Commissioner